There’s nothing more enjoyable than warming up by a crackling fire on a cold winter’s night, but before you strike a match, make sure your fireplace is safe to use by following these simple steps:
- Start by trimming any branches away from the chimney – then open the damper and check to make sure the flue is clear.
- Have your fireplace inspected regularly by a certified chimney sweep and cleaned when needed.
- To prevent creosote from building up in your flue, burn only seasoned hardwood and avoid low, smoldering fires.
- Always use a fireplace screen, and never leave a fire unattended.
- After the fire is completely out, clean out the ashes and close the damper to prevent heat loss.
- Most importantly, be sure you have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in your house and replace the batteries at least once a year.
For more information about preparing your home for winter, check out the article titled “Winterize your home” in the November/December issue of Healthy Living Made Simple magazine.
Danny Lipfordis a 36-year veteran remodeling contractor and media personality known to audiences as host of the Emmy-nominated and nationally-syndicated home improvement TV show and nationally-syndicated radio show: Today’s Homeowner with Danny Lipford. Danny served as the home improvement expert for CBS’s The Early Show and The Weather Channel for more than a decade. Danny has made more than 160 national television appearances, has been a longtime contributor to Better Homes & Gardens magazine. To learn more about Danny and his Today’s Homeowner brand, visit todayshomeowner.com.