Giving in to your cravings doesn’t always have to be a bad thing. Use these three simple recipes for healthy alternatives to satisfy some common cravings:
Craving chocolate, try:
Dark chocolate-covered strawberries
Makes: 20 strawberries • Prep time: 30 minutes
6 oz. 70 percent cocoa dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
20 large strawberries with stems, cleaned
1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Add a ½ cup water to pot or double boiler and bring to simmer.
- Turn off heat. Set bowl of chocolate over the water to melt; stir until smooth and completely melted.
- Dip strawberries into chocolate, holding the stem, leaving the last ¼ inch or so uncovered. Let excess chocolate drip off then set on parchment paper.
- If using shredded coconut, either sprinkle or roll berries in flakes, depending on how much coconut you prefer.
- Set berries aside until the chocolate hardens.
Per serving (1 strawberry): Calories 57.6, Fat 4.7g, Carbs 5.2g, Potassium 37.3mg
Craving mashed potatoes, try:
Cauliflower mashed ‘potatoes’
Makes: 4 servings • Prep time: 15 minutes
3 lbs. cauliflower (medium head), cleaned and cut
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp. salt
Black pepper to taste
- In a medium-size pot, combine cauliflower, garlic and enough water to cover the contents.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let cook until cauliflower is tender.
- Drain and add cauliflower, garlic, salt and oil to a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Pepper to taste.
Per serving: Calories 68.3, Fat 3.8g, Carbs 8.1g, Protein 2.9g
Craving sweets, try:
Makes: 16 bars • Prep time: 30 minutes
1 ½ cups rolled oats
¾ cup whole almonds
½ cup blueberries, dried
½ cup pistachios, shelled
1/3 cup flaxseed, ground
1/3 cup walnuts
¼ cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup almond butter
- Combine oats, almonds, blueberries, pistachios, flaxseed, walnuts and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
- Stir in honey and apple sauce, mix thoroughly.
- Stir in almond butter, mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture in an 8-by-8-inch pan lined with wax paper, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove and cut into 16 pieces. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per serving (1 bar): Calories 227.3, Fat 15.7g, Carbs 19g, Protein 5.9g