Be hip to dysplasia symptoms
Canine hip dysplasia is one of the most common skeletal diseases in dogs. Some symptoms to watch for:
- Reluctance to jump, exercise or climb stairs
- Stiffness on rising or climbing uphill
- Lameness in hindquarters after exercise
- Bunny hopping or swaying gait
- Pain in hip joints
- Loss of muscle mass in thigh muscles
Visit the American College of Veterinary Surgeons website at acvs.org for more information.
According to the American Veterinary Dental Society, by the age of 3, 80 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats have some form of periodontal disease.
The cats Meow
According to the Cat Fanciers Association 2011 registration statistics, these are the worlds most popular breeds of cats:
California treats animals of all kinds better than any other state, according to the Humane Society of Americas Humane State Ranking survey. The survey ranks all 50 states (and Washington, D.C.) on animal-related laws covering everything from livestock to companion animals. New Jersey and Oregon tied for second place.
No Snow Dogs
Falls here, so while youre preparing your home for colder weather, think about prepping your doghouse as well. Some cool tips for a warmer best friend:
- Choose a wind-blocking design
- Face the opening toward the south or southeast
- Insulate using spray insulation
- Use straw or wood shavings for warm, dry bedding
- Get a heated water dish to prevent water from freezing