Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa and Black Beans
Makes 8 servings • Prep time: 50 minutes
Fresh bell peppers stuffed with hearty quinoa, beans and delicious spices.
- 4 bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water or stock (or a mixture of both)
- ½ cup chopped yellow or red onion
- 1 can (1 ½ cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (1 cup) tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ½ t. ground black pepper
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1 can (2 cups) enchilada sauce
- In a large saucepan, mix rinsed quinoa, water/stock and onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil 5 minutes, cover, simmer on low 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- While cooking quinoa, microwave pepper halves 2-3 minutes (or bake in 375°F oven 15 minutes) to soften.
- Once quinoa is finished, pour quinoa mixture into a bowl and toss with beans, tomato and green chilies, cilantro, salt, and pepper. If mixture is dry add water by the tablespoon until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour enchilada sauce into a 9” x 13” baking dish. Stuff peppers with filling and place stuffed pepper in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 375°F 25-30 minutes; uncover and cook about 5 minutes longer.
Note: If desired, add shredded chicken in step 3