Sometimes it seems difficult to find delicious foods to serve on a diabetic-friendly diet. Give this low-carb recipe a try to help your body function better with every meal.
Each ingredient in this recipe is low on the GI scale. Try using whatever vegetables you have around – even leftover vegetables and chopped greens. And try a more adventurous recipe by using chopped roast beef, turkey or pulled pork. The possibilities are nearly endless for this family-favorite dish!
Veggie and chicken casserole
Makes 6 servings • Prep time: 15 minutes • Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6-8 white button mushrooms, diced
- ¾ cup hummus (flavor of choice)
- ¼ cup salsa or tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- Place all ingredients but hummus, salsa or tomato sauce, and sesame seeds into an 9×13 casserole dish. Stir until spices are evenly mixed with vegetables.
- Add hummus and salsa or tomato sauce to casserole dish and mix well.
- Place in 400°F oven, setting time for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, stir casserole and top with sesame seeds. Return casserole to oven and bake 15 minutes longer.
Per serving: 189.7 calories, 12.2g carbohydrates, 2.8g sugar