Gluten-free Moroccan skillet quinoa and chicken
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp. of paprika
- 2 tsp. of ground coriander
- 2 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1 tsp. of kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 cup organic quinoa (pre-rinsed)
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 2-inch pieces
- Juice one of the lemons and thinly slice the other. Cut the slices into quarters so that you have small pieces of lemon. Set both aside (separately) for later.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the paprika, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes. Add the lemon pieces, onion, garlic and apricots. Cook, stirring frequently until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Cover pan, lower the heat to a medium-low and cook covered for 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa and chicken sits, toast the almond slices. In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds for a few minutes, stirring often until they are browned and fragrant.
- To serve, put the quinoa chicken mixture in a serving bowl, fluff gently with a fork and top with toasted almonds and parsley leaves