Quinoa salad with grilled vegetables and feta
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock Kosher salt to taste
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 zucchini, cut lengthwise into1/4-inch slices
- 2 summer squashes, cut length wise into 1/4-inch slices
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, larger leaves torn
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, larger leaves torn
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- In a 3 1/2-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Add the water, season with salt and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the grains are tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let the quinoa cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat a grill pan or outside grill on medium heat. In a large bowl, gently toss together the onion, zucchini, squashes and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, grill the vegetables, turning once, until nicely grill marked and tender, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly, then cut into rough 1/4-inch dice. Add the diced vegetables and the tomatoes to the pot with the quinoa and stir gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Add the vinaigrette to the quinoa along with basil, mint and half of the cheese and stir to combine. Top with the remaining cheese and serve.