Try these easy slow cooker dishes for healthier, heartier meals:
Makes: 6 servings • Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
3 lbs. extra lean beef roast
1 onion, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, whole with the peel removed
3 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. salt
- Whisk together thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper and paprika with water and 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Add carrots, garlic, onion and potatoes to the cooker.
- Add last tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to the roast and place meat over vegetables in the cooker.
- Cook on low for eight hours.
Per serving: Calories 331, Fat 7g, Carbs 21g, Protein 42g
Makes: 5 servings • Time: 8 hours
1 pound lean beef (chuck, chuck shoulder, bottom round roast, round tip roast), cut bite size
4 potatoes, cut and peeled
2 celery stalks, cut
4 carrots, chopped
1 cup corn, canned or frozen
1 cup green peas, canned or frozen
1 onion, cut
3 bay leaves
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. black pepper
1 can low-sodium beef broth
1 can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- Combine broth and spices in bottom of cooker and stir.
- Add vegetables and canned tomatoes, then gently stir in meat.
- Cook on low heat for up to eight hours or until meat is tender.
Per serving: Calories 273, Fat 7g, Carbs 11g, Protein 22g
Makes: 4 • Time 4 hours 15 minutes
4 bell peppers
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup salsa
1 small onion, chopped
½ cup corn, canned or frozen
1/3 cup brown rice
1 ¼ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds.
- In a large bowl, gently mix all remaining ingredients.
- Place peppers in cooker and spoon in mixture from bowl evenly into each pepper.
- Cook on low heat for four hours or until peppers are desired temperature.
Per serving: Calories 290, Fat 8g, Carbs 31g, Protein 15g