Turmeric is a super-spice that has been receiving a lot of attention for its evidence-based health benefits – many studies have proven that it has major benefits for your body and brain.
Turmeric, a root related to ginger that gives Indian curries and some mustards their yellow hue, contains curcumin, a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Below are just some of the many proven benefits of including turmeric in your diet.
Health benefits of turmeric
- Potent natural anti-inflammatory for treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Prevent prostate cancer, stop the growth of existing prostate cancer and even destroy cancer cells.
- Help to moderate insulin levels in the treatment of diabetes.
- Reduce serum cholesterol levels and help prevent many cardiovascular diseases.
- Antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agents also help strengthen the immune system.
- Aid in the removal of plaque build-up in the brain and improve the flow of oxygen to help prevent or slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Natural liver detoxifier.
Turmeric in your diet
But say you don’t really like curry. How can you include turmeric in your diet so that you can enjoy the benefits of this great spice yourself? Here are a few ideas.
- Make “Golden Milk” (recipe below)
- Stir into yogurt with honey
- Sprinkle over veggies before roasting or stir frying
- Add to hummus
- Mix into broths, soups, stews or chili
- Use in marinade for grilled meats
- Scramble it in eggs
- Spike a fruit smoothie
- Include in rice and whole grain dishes
- Jazz up baked goods like banana or zucchini bread with a dash
Please note that the curcumin in turmeric is not well-absorbed into the bloodstream unless taken along with black pepper. Try to include it in your foods regularly as well for best results.
Golden Milk Recipe
- 1 cup of almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- Flavor to taste – try honey, agave, stevia, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg (optional)
- Sprinkle of black pepper
Mix all ingredients and warm in saucepan or microwave. Enjoy warm!
Do you have a favorite way to include turmeric in your diet? Share your ideas with us in the comments below.