Enjoy nutritious hot cider during the cold winter months
Homemade Apple Cider
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes • Cook Time: 3 hours • Servings: 16
- 10 unpeeled apples, quartered
- 1/2 cup honey (raw or agave, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
1. Place apples in a large pot and fill with water, covering apples by 2 inches. Stir in honey, cinnamon and allspice. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour, uncovered.
2. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
3. Pour apple mixture through a strainer and discard solids. Strain cider again through a cheesecloth-lined strainer.
4. Serve hot or refrigerate until cold. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, if desired.
Cranberry Apple Cider
Prep time: 5 minutes • Cook Time: 4 • Servings: 10
- One 64-ounce bottle apple juice (100 percent juice, if possible) or use cider from Homemade Apple Cider recipe
- One 12-ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 cup whole cloves
- Honey, to taste (optional)
1. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours.
2. Pour cranberries, cloves and cinnamon sticks through a strainer and discard solids before serving.
3. Serve hot or refrigerate until cold. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, if desired.